Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JimR JimR is offline

Default Has anyone turned bamboo?

If I try to take a sample to my local garden shop, which is about 20 miles
away, a 40' bamboo culm sticking out of the sunroof of my Honda Civic is
going to look like some giant children's pull toy --

Thanks, everyone, for the information -- JimR

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
You have a special version of bamboo and would be a value to the
local garden shops - in the raw state or in yard stuff.

If there are Japanese gardens near by - make friends. They build
almost any structure out of them.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/23/2010 7:11 PM, JimR wrote:
I have some clumps of giant timber bamboo besides the house. I've been
removing some of the culms to keep the grove under control and now have
almost a dozen that I've harvested. The culms are 4-6" in diameter near
the
base and about 35-40 feet tall. The walls of the lower sections are up
about 1" thick. It occurred to me that this might be a novel source for
turning material, for such things as candle-stick holders,
salt-and-pepper
shakers, a chop stick holder, etc.

Has anyone tried turning bamboo sections, and if so what did you think of
the final product?