Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommendations for tap/die set

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:04:56 -0700, "Artemus"
wrote the following:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
.. .
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
wrote in message
Now and then, I find that I could use a tap and die set.

I usually go without and figure something else out, but
decided perhaps I should go with one.

The local hardware store has Irwin brand. Small kit, both
metric and English are available. However, not sure if it's
worth the $60 or so.

With no intended contradiction to Joe's recommendation, I bought an HF set
and for the amount that I need to call upon it (might be considered a medium
duty usage rate), it has not let me down. I don't think it would stand up
to a machinist's needs - in fact I know it would not, but then again most of
us are not machinists, and I know that my demands of this kind of tool are
far greater than that of most here. So - that's a possible maybe
statement...

I'll second the HF sets. I've had one for years and it hasn't let me
down once. I use them in wood, plastic, aluminum, brass, cast iron,
and mild steel. I've not broken a tap or die yet.

I'll 3rd that with both metric and SAE sets. I've broken only one tap,
and that was the devious 6-32 bastid. That was my fault as well as the
poorly designed 6-32 tap that had plagued mankind since its invention.
I simply didn't pay enough attention and didn't use any tapping fluid.
One turn too quickly and it became 2 pieces. Luckily, it was a cheap
and replaceable part so I didn't even have to attempt drilling it out.

OTOH, if I have something I truly can't afford to lose, I'll buy a
super quality tap and use it. Weigh the costs and go from there.

The cheap sets are great for most repairs, though. I use dies to clean
up buggered threads on irreplaceable bolts from errant hammer taps.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas
in the minds of energetic men of good will.