Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default 220VAC vs. 240VAC Saw Motor S.O.T.

I was asked today about a motor stamped 240VAC. I kept saying 220
volts and my neighbor would interupt and remind me it said 240 VAC.

I told hm that I didn't think it mattered and that I'd never heard an
explanation of why we see stuff rated at 240 VAC when most of our
homes seem to come standard with 220 VAC and 115VAC.

I've heard 120VAC bandied about and figure those two legs make up the
240VAC.

I told hime that I knew where to post this question having seen days
of posts on similar Electrical (S.O.T. - somewhat off topic) posts
with some folks who appeared to know their stuff providing links to
references and resources.

So, if one og those folks is reading this, please respond and tell me
what gives with the 220 vs. 240 VAC. Can we ignore the minor
difference and usethese motors on "220" or "240?"

FYI - The motor in question did not indicate it was a dual 120/240
voltage motor - it just said 240!

Thanks for reading. Please reply to author.