Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Recommendations for tap/die set

On Jul 1, 2:06*am, Andy Dingley wrote:

We're metric in the UK, for new work anyway, and maybe also a couple
of others like 26tpi brass thread and 40tpi model engineering.

Ha! #4-40 tpi and #6-32 tpi are still NATO standards, and I'm
dubious
that pipe systems in UK have gone metric any more than they have
in the US. There's lots of OLD designs (1/4-20 Whitworth threads
for camera sockets comes to mind) that haven't been dropped, too.
All 3.5" hard disk drives are attached with #6-32 here in the USA,
though 2.5" drives and DVD drives have gone metric.

You can ignore the relics, but they haven't gone away.