Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Recommend quick change drills/bits?

On Jun 25, 12:31*pm, John Doe wrote:
I bought some cheapies from Lowe's recently. They are supposed to
be titanium coated. They are the type with the aluminum color
shanks. Some of them were noticeably crooked coming-out of the
shank. Junk. I had some others (Hitachi I guess) with the same
aluminum color shanks, also junk. On the other hand, I still have
a few small diameter Black and Decker quickchange bits (solid
black) that came with a cheap bit set, that are still working good
after some abuse. I would like a more complete quickchange bit
set. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Out of curiosity... What do you think about tri-shank
drills/bits?

I've had good luck with DeWalt bits, ditto on B&D. Both are on the
pegs at all the stores around here, YMMV. Tool King here usually has
the humongous DeWalt sets, they're online, too. The "Bullet" point
drills work well on sheetmetal.

Some of the specialty wood working suppliers may have some other
offerings, Rockler Hardware, Woodcraft and McFeely's are all outfits
I've done business with.

As far as TiN, it's usually used to disguise tomato can-grade drills.
Something about that shiny gold coating pulls folks in. Once it's
gone, the twist usually unwraps. Look for black oxide or full polish,
cobalt if you're drilling steel.

Stan