Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default What do you use for a deep clamp?

On 6/27/2010 10:44 PM, John Doe wrote:
Just noticed some Irwin 9SP 9" locking C clamps (two per package
for $20 US) at the local mega hardware store, and grabbed them.
They have smaller Vise Grip handles and lighter duty clamp jaws
than the standard heavy-duty locking C clamp at the same store,
but the reach is 1 5/8" longer. Not massive clamping power, but
they work great as expected.

What do you use for a deep grip clamp?

Bessey medium duty malleable iron clamps give 4-1/2" or more (I've got
two that can go 7 inches, and they sell them up to 12). Irwin has
similar clamps that go 4-7/8. Jorgensen 4900s go up to 9 inches but
they aren't cheap.

When I need more than 7 inches though I usually pile some free weight
disks on it, or sometimes a bag of shot.