Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Karas Michael Karas is offline

Default door sprung - hanging no mortise hinges

In article , says...

It's
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...90437&pn=90437
but the middle isn't notched. go to more info tab. the hinge I'm using is
on the right.

Mike O. wrote in
:

Can you point us to a link to the type of hinge you are using?

Mike O.

Read some of the review comments from the Rockler web site regarding
these hinges. The screws are obviously crap. If you knew that and
purchased some replacement screws maybe the problem is that the heads do
not flush down into the counter sunk hole. Note that above flush screw
heads is a very common problem with this type of hinge.

28) Submitted by John , from Winston Salem, NC on 11/20/2007
I was surprised to discover that these hinges do not maintain square if
installed on anything other than "exact" 90 degree corners/edges. My
project involved doors with small outside radius' so therefore the hinge
(door side) when installed, did not result in a true 90 degree relative
installation. As a result, the doors were "spring loaded" and did not
close, thus the magnetic catches would not hold. I have since ordered
replacements (31313) to hopefully solve this problem.

29) Submitted by Brad, from Austin, TX on 3/2/2008
These hinges are just what I needed for the project. The only problem I
had was that the furnished screws did not seat flush in the countersunk
hinge holes, thus keeping the door(s) from closing totally without
marring the edges. I reamed the countersinks slightly, making them
deeper - that took care of the problem. I am pleased with the results.

31) Submitted by Joe Wlostowski, from Johnson City, NY on 12/31/2007
The use of non-mortise hinges is great. The only complaint I have was
that each hinge was bent and had to be straightened in a vise. I
purchased nine sets in two different orders and all were bent

34) Submitted by Bill Bonner, from Austin, TX on 12/21/2008
Supplied screws either broke into or completely striped the heads due to
the soft metal used. I had to drill out the broken shafts or cut out the
stripped heads and use different hardware in order to use these hindges.
My advise is to throw away the supplied hardware and use harder screws
to start with.

44) Submitted by Pete Schendel, from Helena, MT on 2/25/2010
I used these hinges on an entertainment center with three inset glass
doors. This is my first experience building and installing doors. Two of
the doors would not close completely until I removed the set screw in
the edge of the door. One of the hinges was bent when it arrived and had
to be worked on my anvil to get it flat. One door still does not close
perfectly. May be my construction but I feel the bad hinge may be the
problem. I guess I should have returned the bad hinge. The wrap around
section of the hinge for the door appeared to be less than 90 degrees
which could have caused the problem with the door not closing. Quality
control seemed to be lacking.

--
- mkaras