Posted to rec.woodworking
VirtualDen VirtualDen is offline

Default Drill bit size for copper pipe union?

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article unications,
Robert Bonomi wrote:
...snipped...
Plumbing stuff is specced by inside diameter.

O.D. is whatever the manufacturer feels like.

That may be true in the case of couplings or fittings that pipe screws
_into_ but the OD of the pipe itself is controlled by the spec, otherwise
pipe and fittings from different sources would not be interchangeable.
And unlike pipe, tubing is sized by OD.
--

So I will try to clarify the issue or confuse people even more. ;oP I can
tell you this stuff can be confusing. An unthreaded copper pipe is measure

A 1/2" pipe will measure 5/8 OD. The schedule will change the thickness
from the inside diameter. An unthreaded copper fitting is measured by the
ID and a 1/2 " copper pipe fitting (tee, coupler) will have a 5/8" inside
diameter. For other material like PVC (I never measured them) or iron pipes
(never used them) the measurement will be different from copper. Because I
built a still I had to measure the copper pipes and fitting and at some
point I was a bit lost.

Then for threaded fitting the measurement are different and since I never
used them I find it a bit confusing if I had to order some. The OPoster has
a fitting which I am not sure exactly because an union has 3 parts so if it
is untreaded and the inside diameter is 1/2" it is a 3/8" fitting to fit a
3/8" pipe measuring 1/2" OD (the pipe). So the hole if a standard fitting
meaning (coupler) will be 1/2" +/- with the tolerance which I do not know.
This will fit a 3/8" pipe which will measure 1/2" OD.

About the confusion I had at some point was the copper tubing (coil) which
are measured O.D. Though I looked at McMaster they seem to use the same
convention than for the pipe I can swear they did not in the past. I imagine
the confusion when ordering online.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-pipe/=7ppbkr

Below they use the proper convention for copper pipe and copper tubing.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/coppertubing.html

VD