Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Am I being 'el-cheapo'? (metal related)

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I own about 80 tomato baskets. These are the conical wire supports that
hold up the plants as they hopefully grow. Every year about a dozen
baskets experience failure by having one of their welds break. I
segragate them and eventually they meet with my OA welding torch and get
a new lease on life. SWMBO says I should simply buy new baskets. Most
of them are at least 20 years old, back when you could buy them for $
0.50 each. I refuse to pay $1.79 and up for new ones. Cheap? I would
rather spend the money on welding gas.

Ivan Vegvary

I had the same problem here. Most of the store bought ones are light
cheap steel. I found some made out of REAL steel (1/4" stainless) these
were mig/TIG? welded and then powder coated as well.

They were about 20 bucks each but when you look at the cheap ones and
how they bend and rot over the years this is a better use of money.

If I had a ring roller and the stainless I would have made my own.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)