Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Am I being 'el-cheapo'? (metal related)

On 2010-06-29, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I own about 80 tomato baskets. These are the conical wire supports that
hold up the plants as they hopefully grow. Every year about a dozen
baskets
experience failure by having one of their welds break. I segragate them
and
eventually they meet with my OA welding torch and get a new lease on
life.
SWMBO says I should simply buy new baskets. Most of them are at least 20
years old, back when you could buy them for $ 0.50 each. I refuse to pay
$1.79 and up for new ones. Cheap? I would rather spend the money on
welding gas.

It is just one touch per joint with 3/32" 6013 electrode. Get an arc
welder.

Hi Iggy! I do have a large MIG and TIG. My experience with OA is much
broader, ergo my preference. BUT, taking your suggestion, this time around
I will try the MIG.

Thanks, Ivan