Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8895 Ignoramus8895 is offline

Default Motion, estop etc

On 2010-06-29, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus31989 wrote:
PPMC has 16 inputs. Of them, one is a E-Stop. So I have 15 inputs
left.

No, 16 totally free inputs PLUS the dedicated E-stop. Total of 17 inputs.
The first candidates for inputs are limit switches (6), Start/Stop
(2). This leaves 7 more digital inputs. Ideally, I would like to make
my X-Y-Z hand controls to work. For that, I would need at least 6
inputs.

I hope that if I need more buttons to work, I could expand this PPMC
by adding one more I/O cards.

Yes, another DIO card adds 16 more inputs (the E-stop is used only on
the master DIO board)
and 8 more outputs.

Great.

The PyVCP (Python Virtual Control Panel) lets you customize add-ons to
the main Axis GUI screen.
I've used it only to add a spindle speed display, but I'm pretty sure
you can add start and stop buttons, and then link external switches to
those functions. There's a whole manual section for PyVCP.

Yes, I was reading about it last night.

For a pendant control see http://pico-systems.com/pendant.html
I have two versions of this, one on the Bridgeport and one on the
minimill. My second one is better, you can hold down the activate
switch and dial the encoder with one hand. I have an axis select
switch, a rate selector and a button that enables the dial to move the
selected axis. If you aren't holding the button, the jog dial has no
effect. I think that is important, I sometimes bump the dial
accidentally while working. Another button trips the E-stop.

Looks nice. I have some buttons on the machine for X, Y and Z
movements, I will try to integrate those with EMC. John did that:

http://machineability.com/Bridgeport_series_II.html