Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Motion, estop etc

Ignoramus31989 wrote:
The minus is that in case of estop, the motors will coast to stop
instead of braking. But it is more simple.

You have to try a simulated E-stop while in motion to see how far it
moves before stopping.
I have a messy all-relay scheme in my Bridgeport to apply a braking
resistor on E-stop.
It charges the caps in the servo amps with the braking resistor when
coming on, then connects with a contactor and sends enable to the amps.
It cuts power and applies the braking resistor as fast as the relays can
switch when going to E-stop. There is a time delay relay between the
two steps when coming on.

I have a newer circuit I call the "power switch and braking module" but
I'm not sure the braking resistor is suitable for a Series II size machine.
This does it electronically.

Jon