Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default What would you call this

"J. Clarke" wrote:

John fired this volley in news:jhusvar-
:

I can see *how* they work. They engages threads on both sides of a
square tube. What I can't see is: Why do it that way, considering it
only prevents the seat frame rising up off the mount? Seems like any

old
bolt would do. Or if one were a *really* anal Engineer*, a shoulder

bolt.

There are a couple of good reasons to do it that way:

1) if the "pin" is under any significant strain, a threaded body will
create stress risers that may cause it to fatique in the stressed area

2) if the item bearing on that smooth section is banging around any, it
will bung up the threads, making it difficult to remove the fastener in
the future. (A tube bushing around the bolt would help prevent that, but
is probably more cost and work to implement than the turned-down bolt
body).

One other benefit of the threaded design, assuming that both walls of
the tube are tapped, is that the bolt tightens without crushing the tube.

Yes, however that is a function of having both sides of the tube tapped
and has nothing to do with having an unthreaded section in the middle of
the bolt.