Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vernon[_2_] Vernon[_2_] is offline

Default Wiring a single phase electric panel.

On Jun 28, 12:17*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 02:41:57 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "ATP" wrote:

"Vernon" wrote in message

Rather than put these 120v plugs on 120v single pole breakers I would
prefer to split each leg of the double pole breaker to feed two of the
outlets.

Why? The only difference is the breakers are tied and trip together, which
is no advantage. Electrically, breakers on different stabs will balance the
same as on a double pole breaker.

Incorrect. There is one other difference, which apparently is important to
him: with the 120V circuits on opposite legs of a double-pole breaker, he can
*also* use the same double-pole breaker to supply a 240V load (as long as he
won't be using it at the same time as the 120V loads). This enables him to
have more circuits, effectively, without using additional breakers or slots in
the panel, and probably saves wire too, if it's laid out thoughtfully.

True indeed.

Gunner

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch

Are any of y'all on facebook? If so send me a friend request to
"vernon tuck". (I'm the Vernon Tuck who's handsomer than Indiana
Jones). Once I approve you as my widdle fwiend you can see pics of
our farm, our critters, our kids, and my project. This time last year
we started a roadside stand. It was originally intended to be a
fireworks stand. But it morphed into something bigger. I ended up
building a heavy wall pipe foundation behind it, jacking it up and
rolling it back so that I could permanently affix it before the next
hurricane blows it into the next county. It is the most ambitious
welding project I've done yet. Which is not to say it will impress
anybody in here. But I'm proud of it. VT