Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Auto Body Welding and Air Compressors

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 08:45:07 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

I'm getting close to cutting out rust and installing panels. I have a
Century wire feed welder, MIG and flux-core, will flux core work for auto
body? I'm wondering since I don't use this very much I took my cylinder
back instead of paying monthly rental. I can do a cylinder lease if
necessary but if Flux core wire will work for auto body repairs then I can
save some money.

I've done a lot of rust work back in the day. I will make two
suggestions based on my experience:

1: forget flux core, go with Ag25. (25% CO2, balance argon)
2: lose the Century and get a Lincoln SP125+ (or whatever model is
current now) with continuous heat control. That continuous control
makes a huge difference on thin steel.
3: if you don't have one already, get an autodarkening helmet

The relatively minor cost of having the right tools will repay you
many times in labor savings and satisfaction with results.

I have TIG but never used it on autobody. MIG is the right tool for
thin steel panels and autobody plug welds.

Also, it appears I'll need a more powerful compressor. The compressor I'm
most interested in right now is a Porter Cable 60 Gallon 3HP with a Cast
Iron pump, these are running $599-$699 on the internet but the local farm
stores have them for $399. I figure the 60 gallon tank being brand new
would make that hard to beat, unless someone here knows of a better deal.

The Porter Cable 3HP compressor has around 10CFM at 90PSI, I have another
compressor with 5.3CFM at 90PSI I can connect together if I need to. Also I
have another compressor with around 3HP with a hole in the tank. Anyway, if
I bought the $399 compressor with the 60 gallon tank, I could couple 2 more
compressors and get close to 25CFM if I needed to.

RogerN

I have 14.4 CFM at 90 PSI, never ran out of air doing autobody work.