Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Wiring a single phase electric panel.

In article , wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 01:15:25 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 19:10:52 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 13:29:31 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

There's nothing wrong with putting all three receptacles on a
three-conductor
cable (which actually has four wires -- black, red, white, and bare) w

In most industrial applications..thats going to be Black, Red, Green and
bare, or more commonly here......Black, White, Green and bare

Guess again.

I run into it virtually every day in machine shops all over California.

Sure you do. Two grounds and no neutral. Uh-huh.

In single phase 220? Two grounds? Which was which?

You're not making sense, Goober. The NEC mandates that green can be used
*only* for grounding conductors. It also mandates that bare can be used *only*
for grounding conductors. So your claim to have seen "green and bare" in "most
industrial applications" means you're claiming that most industrial
applications have two grounds.

I call "bull****".

Hint: green and bare are both used for equipment grounding, and the NEC
prohibits the use of either for any other purpose. Do you tell me that
"most industrial applications" use two equipment grounding conductors? And
*no* neutral when supplying 120V loads?

Very few industrial is single phase,

That does not matter. NEC color coding requirements are the same without
regard to the number of phases. The entire NEC is available online he
http://nfpaweb3.gvpi.net/rrserver/br...NFPASTD/7008SB
You might benefit from reading it. The portion relevant to this discussion
is Article 200.

but the few that are....shrug..are
as I stated above.

IOW, you're claiming that you see many single-phase circuits with two
equipment grounds and no neutral. The only way I'm going to believe that is if
you tell me *you* installed the circuits.

Sorry spud..but Im not going to get into a ****ing contest with you.

Probably wise. You clearly don't know much about the electrical code.

The shops seem to think that the third wire is a neutral and use the
green wire. Sorry if they are wrong.

Much more likely that you're just making crap up, because you don't have a
clue.

Like _THAT'S_ never happened before...