Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Precision vs. "Regular" collets

On 2010-06-27, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On 2010-06-26, Searcher7 wrote:
I'm sure *everything* is bigger on your Clausing than on my mini-
lathe. :-) (Including the bearings).

* * * * That is why it can accept 5C collets in a spindle adaptor -- it
is big enough. *Yours is *not* If you want to handle 5C collets, plan on
at least a 10" lathe -- which you will probably have to strip down to
components and carry them up one at a time.

* * * * I believe that even the South Bend "Heavy 10" will not handle
the 5C collets in the spindle -- just the 12" swing or larger.
* * * * [ ... ]
* * * * * * * * DoN.

The South Bend Heavy 10 which is a scaled-down 13" takes 5C, the Light
10 doesn't.

O.K. I tried checking with the www.lathes.co.uk site, but could
not find details on it as to whether it used 5C collets or not.

In my limited R&D experience a 10" lathe with 5C collets is the
minimum really acceptable size for serious work like making machine
parts and special tools. I haven't used a 9" lathe. and smaller ones
were enough for the small aluminum parts I needed for electronics.
There have been only a few jobs I had to send out that a 12" lathe
could have done. My old belt-drive South Bend is marginal for carbide
tooling, which makes turning stainless steel difficult. South Bend
suggested it for toolroom or maintenance use, and the 9" for a
hobbyist.

O.K.

The companies that needed steel parts had 15" or so lathes available.
For a home shop I Iike the 10" better only because the chucks are
light enough to handle easily and the tailstock slides smoothly with
one hand, important for drilling. I can make very small pieces on it
as easily as on a Sherline, except for drilling small deep holes where
more speed would help. I learned on a 15" lathe and if I was making
parts to someone else's requirements that's what I'd want.

The 12" Clausing is a common choice for maintenance and short runs.

I'm quite happy with my 12" Clausing with a bed turret in
addition to the normal tailstock -- and a lever style collet closer.
The chucks are just within reason for lifing and removing. Much heavier
and I would like to add a chuck crane to help with that. (Or perhaps
when I get somewhat older?)

But I still occasionally hit things for which a larger lathe
would be better. However, I don't have room for one that much larger.
:-)

It was originally a 2-1/4x8 spindle thread, and I replaced the
spindle with a L-00 one for greater comfort when turning in reverse.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564