Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Auto Body Welding and Air Compressors

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 06/27/2010 08:46 AM, JR North wrote:
(top posting fixed)
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 08:45:07 -0500,
wrote:

I'm getting close to cutting out rust and installing panels. I have a
Century wire feed welder, MIG and flux-core, will flux core work for
auto
body? I'm wondering since I don't use this very much I took my cylinder
back instead of paying monthly rental. I can do a cylinder lease if
necessary but if Flux core wire will work for auto body repairs then I
can
save some money.

(compressor stuff snipped)

You can use the flux welder for plug welds; that's about it. Won't
work for panel butt welds or lap joining, except maybe to spot weld
the joints. It's almost impossible to run a seam in thin sheet metal
with a flux welder. You really need to Tig it.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Or hammer weld it with oxy-acetylene. Not that this is a trivial skill --
it may take you less time to get a part-time job at McDonalds & save up
for a TIG welder than it would take you to learn how to hammer weld a
really good seam with oxy-acetylene. But it can be done.

I already have a TIG welder with a 350A liquid cooled torch. All the stuff
I see on auto body is saying MIG weld, that oxy-acetylene and TIG makes too
much heat in the panel and causes warping. I loved oxy acetylene welding in
school, you could see what you were doing, welds were very solid, no slag to
fight... but from what I have heard it doesn't work for modern automobiles,
hopefully that's wrong.

RogerN