Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default McChrystal fired

Don Foreman wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:53:20 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:30:20 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jun 24, 11:35 am, Ignoramus11945

I do not think that Obama had any choice, he had to fire him.

Why do you say he had no choice? Do you think that firing McCrystal
will change what anyone thinks of Obama and his administration?

I once had an engineer in my group that was a competent engineer. But
he could not tolerate management. We got along pretty well before he
was transferred into my group. But he could not get along with the
supervisor of the group he was in. So he was transferred into my
group, and as soon as he was in my group, things changed.

If he was talking to some people and saw I came into the room, he
would raise his voice and start making derogatory remarks about me.
Sure I could have complained just as his former supervisor did, but
he was a competent engineer.
And it was so obvious that he did not get along with anyone who was
his supervisor, that his remarks did not bother me. To me competence
is more important than being civil.

Dan

In the military, what matters to you is irrelevant. If an officer
behaved as you did, he would be regarded as incompetent and dealt with
accordingly.

In retrospect, my response seems a bit brusque and dismissive. I
didn't intend that, Dan.

Some things aren't quite the same in the military as they are in a
business or corporate setting.

A good military commander seeks input from his experienced and
capable staff and makes good use of it, but a subordinate who makes
public derogatory remarks cannot be tolerated. Individual
competence cannot exuse any behavior that undermines team integrity
and performance in endeavours where second place is a body bag. Strong
disagreement from staff, including asshole-snapping heated argument,
is completely acceptable. The reason a commander has staff is to
competently advise him. Staff must understand that they are
subordinates and must vigorously implement the final decision of
the C.O. I was both staff (combat engr bn S-3 operations officer)
and C.O. (platoon leader and company commander) so I have first hand
experience in both roles.

You might like this: http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.