Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Auto Body Welding and Air Compressors

On 2010-06-27, RogerN wrote:

I'm getting close to cutting out rust and installing panels. I have a
Century wire feed welder, MIG and flux-core, will flux core work for auto
body? I'm wondering since I don't use this very much I took my cylinder
back instead of paying monthly rental. I can do a cylinder lease if
necessary but if Flux core wire will work for auto body repairs then I
can
save some money.

Can you have owner bottles?

Yeah, something like that anyway, lifetime lease or something like that.
But if flux core wire will work just as well it would save me maybe $200 for
the tank and gas.

Also, it appears I'll need a more powerful compressor. The compressor
I'm
most interested in right now is a Porter Cable 60 Gallon 3HP with a Cast
Iron pump, these are running $599-$699 on the internet but the local farm
stores have them for $399. I figure the 60 gallon tank being brand new
would make that hard to beat, unless someone here knows of a better deal.

The Porter Cable 3HP compressor has around 10CFM at 90PSI, I have another
compressor with 5.3CFM at 90PSI I can connect together if I need to.
Also I
have another compressor with around 3HP with a hole in the tank. Anyway,
if
I bought the $399 compressor with the 60 gallon tank, I could couple 2
more
compressors and get close to 25CFM if I needed to.

Thats like an equivalent of a 5 HP compressor. If you look around, you
can find a decent 5 HP compressor, it will work forever and supply
enough air.

In all I could hook up 2ea 3HP compressors and a 1.5HP compressor to get
around 25CFM, I usually don't see over 18CFM maximum from 5HP compressors,
though 5HP would be enough for about anything I plan to do, maybe some sand
blasting. For the new compressors around here the single stage 5HP are $800
with a 60 gallon tank. At one time Rural King had a Quincy single stage 5HP
60 gallon for ~$600, I'd buy one of those if they were still available.
Anyway, an extra $400 to step up from 3HP to 5HP seems steep since they both
have 60 gallon tanks. I think I would be better off to buy 2 of the 3HP
compressors and have 20CFM + 120 gallons of air tanks!

The portable compressor I have with 3HP and a leaking tank has a 30 gallon
tank, pretty big for a portable. I don't like the idea of welding on a
tank, it could have some compressor oil in there, might make flamable fumes.
If I get energized to disassemble the compressor maybe I'll fill it with
water and weld on it.

RogerN