Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Flat sockets and switches - practical points

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
I'm doing a major redecorate (long overdue). I am replacing the switches
and sockets with flat-style ones, in my case the Chelsea range sold by
TLC. I had some problems fitting them, so I thought I might be able to
save someone else time by describing possible problems.

You need to make sure the back boxes are level and deep enough before you
start to decorate.

There is a bezel on the back of the switch or socket that fits snugly into
the box, so you can't use the movable screw lug to make fine adjustments
to make them level. If you have top and bottoms lugs you will need to bend
them flat, though the makers do warn you about that.

Because the devices don't stick out from the wall they go a bit further
back into the box. One of my switch socket boxes was the shallow variety
and I had to dig it out and replace it with a deep one after I'd finished
painting. Sigh!

The rear of the device is also a bit bigger vertically and horizontally
than some older types, so might foul on earthing terminals at the back of
the box.

So, don't wait till you've decorated before getting the sockets. Try them
out before you start. It's almost certain you need to change the boxes.
They look really smart though.

Peter Scott

You make a good point.

The flat plate sockets that you installed need a 35mm deep back box that is
set 5mm below the final plaster finish.

Cheers

Adam