Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Acme thread

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 2:21 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Plunge straight in, they say. Why?, I ask. It nearly doubles the chip
load,
and I can't see a good reason for it. There probably is one, but I don't
get
it.

Maybe it's to keep the tool tip from bending left/right? The tip
isn't as
well supported as a 60 degree tool would be.

'Don't know. I think it's mentioned in the Atlas lathe manual, and maybe in
the South Bend _How to Run a Lathe_ book. But neither one, if I recall
correctly, says why.

I have a few really old, old lathe operating books, but they're in storage
right now as we juggle some family arrangements and I'm trying to make room.

--
Ed Huntress