Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Acme thread

BillMe wrote:

I need to cut an acme thread in a steel block. Roughly 5/8" X 6. I
forget what I measured! Is that done with a tap or a boring bar?
Friends have not heard of an acme tap. Thought someone might know.

Thanks,

Bill A

ACME taps are readily available but are expensive. They also are often
in sets for roughing and finishing, though some are multi stage with a
roughing section followed by a finishing stage and are even more
expensive. A quick look on the McMaster site shows a number of ACME
taps, including the tandem ones, ranging from $60 to $300.

Typically unless you need to make a bunch of parts, it's cheaper to buy
a ready made ACME nut assembly and install it in your part. McMaster
lists a lot of precision ACME nuts, but the typical bronze thread in
ACME nut that you thread into your part and secure with a setscrew,
locktite, etc. runs $20-$30. These also make the nut readily replaceable
for wear.