Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default McChrystal fired

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:49:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:40:41 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote the following:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:10:47 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:47:28 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote the following:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:27:32 -0400, Wes
wrote:

rangerssuck wrote:

How is it possible that there hasn't been a single mention of this in
this group of opinion spewers? Do you armchair generals, lawyers and
politicians really have nothing to say?

Just wondering.

I've been trying to behave.

The military is under civilian control. McCrystal, who I have no doubt is an excellent
warfighter and leader, crossed a line you do not cross unless you are willing to give up
your job. Looks like he was willing and from what I can tell the Army and his men was his
life. IOW, he fell on his sword.

I'd like to read Don's take on this. This is the (former) enlisted view.

Wes

Public display of disrespect for leadership is not acceptable for any
military personnel.

While this is true, it was staff, not the General, who gave the
reporters the -vast- majority of the controversial statements.

A C.O. is always ultimately responsible and accountable for the
actions and performance of his unit and staff. If they transgress,
it's up to him to take appropriate corrective measures.

Yes, you're right. But the way it happened, it sure seems likely to
me that he pulled this on purpose, to get away from the current
regime, and I don't mean the one in Afghanistan.

We can only speculate on his motivations, but I'm inclined to doubt
that his intent was merely to "get away". He could have done that by
quietly resigning or retiring.