Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Pumping **** out of a drum....

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:41:22 -0700, Winston
wrote:

On 6/23/2010 10:29 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:07:50 -0700,
wrote:

Hokay but the drum still has 2.8 x the seam length of the jerrycan.

I stumbled across a claim that the flat top and bottom
of the drum go noticeably convex at only 5 PSIG.

5 PSIG is about 11.5 feet of water head. Head necessary to get the
stuff out of the drum is only 35" or 1.26 PSIG. "Noticibly convex" is
markedly different from "BOOM" so about 0.252 NC (Noticably Convex)
seems safe enough to me.

Gives me the willies, it does.

Nothing wrong with being safe. Belt, suspenders and staples.

I'd stay with a lever pump and keep the
'air over oil' pressure down around 0 PSIG.

The pump would be a great metalworking project.

There is that.

I did get a bit of machining in with my fuel-transfer project, though.
Hadda make a plug to fit the defunct fire extinguisher, cut some
threads on the lathe. More later on that if interested.

Yes please.
Especially your 120 PSIG pressurization scheme.

I have photos back in wideband land.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/

^ Hint Hint

--Winston