Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Size of cutoff blade for BXA tool holder

On 2010-06-24, Buerste wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message
Teach me about cutoff blades. The slot in the BXA size holder
measures 5/8" (actually 11/32") so it could take a 5/8 by 1/8 cutoff
tool, but it would be nice to use a narrower cutoff blade. What's the
smallest size that can be used in the standard BXA size cutoff tool
holder? Get the T type, tapered type or straight type of cutoff
blade? What's a good place to buy cutoff blades?

Well ... I use a T-type blade in the BXA-sized holder by
Phase-II. That blade is:

11/16"x 1/8" x5" Cleveland Mo-Max M-33 Cobalt

and generally works well for me. (But a search by the MSC part number
no longer finds it so I need to find another maker.

Are you sure about your 11/32" measurement? That is rather tiny
for a lathe large enough to use a BXA toolpost.

RWL

I just grind to whatever width I want. Cut-off is black magic, burry
chicken guts during a full moon while burning black candles while chanting.

I don't have a ready source for chicken guts, so I depend on
luck. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564