Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Pumping **** out of a drum....

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 00:29:27 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:07:50 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Hokay but the drum still has 2.8 x the seam length of the jerrycan.

That's a good thing. The total force is divided by the length of the
seam.

I stumbled across a claim that the flat top and bottom
of the drum go noticeably convex at only 5 PSIG.

5 PSIG is about 11.5 feet of water head. Head necessary to get the
stuff out of the drum is only 35" or 1.26 PSIG. "Noticibly convex" is
markedly different from "BOOM" so about 0.252 NC (Noticably Convex)
seems safe enough to me.

And the 35" of head represents the hydrostatic pressure that the
bottom head sees anyway when the drum is full. Add a few more inches
to get over the rim of the drum, and a bit more to get a reasonable
flow thru the spout, and I don't see a problem, conceptually anyway.
The real challenge is in making damn sure the drum is never
over-presssurized.

I could imagine using a tall standpipe of generous diameter as a
pressure relief. Not that I'd recommend anything as crazy as
pressurizing a 55 gallon drum. g

--
Ned Simmons