Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Two-way and intermediate switches

On Jul 2, 10:22*am, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/07/2010 09:56, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jun 30, 8:54 pm, Tim *wrote:

* *wibbled on Wednesday 30 June 2010 20:37

I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching
the landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long
landing with six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on the
landing).

I reckon that you can have the two two-way switches as normal, with one
intermediate switch. Who's correct - and if he's right, and you can have
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

Cheers and TIA

You can have zero or more intermediate switches.

Think about it:

Normal 2-way means that you send voltage either wire A or wire B. The lamp
lights if both switches are set to both Wire A *or* both wire B.

The intermediate switch is a funky little beast (that doesn't exist in any
normal equipment switch range say in Maplin or RS) that swaps wire A and B
over.

It's just s DPDT switch (easily available from Maplin, RS, etc.) with
a little pre-wiring done for you.

Not as readily available in matching switch plate and toggle though!

No, but the post I replied to did say "normal equipment switch" which
I took not ti include light switches.

MBQ