Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar Panels - verifying the numbers

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
NT wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:54�am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in

messagenews:5o2r26d8ljra9b75uq8g2khtkdalk4stqk@4ax .com...

Steve Firth wrote:

It would certainly be better to DIY.

Only if you are not interested in being paid the Feed-in tariff.
To be eligible, you have to use both approved components and
approved installers.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon �Nottingham UK

I really don't know a lot about this subject, other than what I've

read in
general, but just to fling a curved ball in for a moment, if the

OP's sister
is intent on having panels on a less-than-ideal-facing roof,

wouldn't she do
better to make them water-heating panels ? I seem to recall reading

that the
energy saved on fuel for heating the same water, is quite

significant, and
that the installation costs are not that high. If the fuel saving *is*
significant, then I would have thought that with the very high

energy costs
that we suffer now, the 'effective' returns might be quite good,

without the
hassle of having to sell energy back via a government scheme of dubious
longevity, and without the inherent progressive efficiency reduction

that
comes with PV panels. Anyone here clever enough to do the

comparative sums ?
I'd be quite interested to know this for myself.

Arfa

Its possible to make solarthermal pay its way and some, but not easy,
and commercial installs, as a rule, don't. Since the op was asking
about basics I cant see a good diy design/instal being likely.

On the upside it would waste a lot less money than PV.

I'm told that heat pumps are cost effective - even in lowish outside
temps. A quick google shows Danfoss and Hitachi, at least, make them.
Anyone considered these?

yes.

The calculations are really the ONLY eco fluff things that made sense.

Heatpumps work.

Sadly, not with conventional radiators and hot water tanks by and large.

I was faced with a sort of £15k-20K plus re plumb and rip the garden up
prospect to save a grand a year on heating (maybe).

The the oil price came down.. and I gave up on it.