Mark & Juanita

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

In article ,
says...
In article om,
says...
In article , Cape Cod Bob wrote:
However, I just don't understand why drinking alcoholic beverages
doesn't receive the same treatment as tobacco smoking.

The most obvious answer is that you don't need to worry about exposure to
second-hand beer.

Abuse of alcohol has caused more social grief and cost more money than
tobacco.

Statistics to support this, please?

How about some on the second-hand smoke? And not "so many deaths per
year", but a percentage of risk increase related to exposure time.

I've only seen one such set of numbers and that was many years ago. I
have no idea how accurate the numbers were. But, IIRC, according to
them, exposure to second-hand smoke in an office environment over a
working life of 40 years increased your chances of getting lung cancer by
one in 10,000. BFD!

Don't have the cite at hand, but apparently a recent study by the WHO
determined that second-hand smoke had no measurable affect on mortality.
This study was not widely publicized because its results do not support
the WHO agenda or goals.

I don't remember any numbers on the increase in risk for other smoking-
related diseases, but I'd expect them to be lower than the lung cancer
risks.

And, as I've said before, I don't smoke.

Nor do I, and I don't like being around smoke. The implementation of
smoke-free workplaces, IMO, is simply making things much more civilized
for those who don't smoke. OTOH, the extremes to which the anti-smoking
folks have taken this crusade are disconcerting.