Bob S.

Default Jointer/Planer knives - How sharp should I expect

They should be sharpening them with 600 grit which leaves a striated surface
on the bevel. Any nicks viewed with a 4x loupe should be no deeper than a
grit scratch. If you're seeing nicks with the naked eye - they're doing a
lousy job.

Get yourself the Makita or the Delta sharpener with the planer blade
attachment and you will be set up to sharpen just about anything in your
shop except sawblades. I have both the 600 and 1000 grit wheels, made a
leather hone wheel out of MDF plus some Scary Sharp wheels again with MDF
and various grits of wet/dry paper. My chisels, turning tools, plane
blades, jointer and planer blades and even drill bits can be sharpened and
honed quickly.

I've seen several shop made jigs (see magazine sites) that will hold both
jointer and planer blades and use Scary Sharp techniques that can be built
inexpensively. In our area, getting a set of DeWalt 12" planer blades
sharpened cost nearly $20. The Makita or Delta sharpener can be had for
under $200 with a 600 grit wheel on the Makita and I don't recall what the
Delta comes with. Some MDF and a chunk of leather from a hobby shop plus
some green honing compound will add $10 plus your time to make the honing
wheels if you need them (and you don't for just jointer and planer blades).

A sharpening system - shop built or purchased is a good investment. Lots of
"How To" articles out there and mentors here that can explain the fine
points of shapening just about anything. You'll get lots of opinions and
ideas and you can pick and choose what suits you.

Bob S.

(I see I'm gonna have to trademark my sig since there's another Bob S
(doesn't use a period) out there....;0