Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer
Jon Green Jon Green is offline

Default Nagered hard drive;'(..

On 25/06/2010 22:14, Huge wrote:
On 2010-06-25, Jon wrote:
On 25/06/2010 16:04, Huge wrote:
Nor indeed, my precious collection of techno-junk. I expect somone, somewhere
will want it. As I said, the PDP11 and other assorted computing relics
already went to Bletchley Park.

Sadly, my beloved 11/70

Ooh, big iron! Mine was just an 11/23+

Four steaming full-height cabs of it! Converted to single-phase, from
the original three. If I fired them all up at once, domestic ring main
dropped to about 50V (at a guess). Them big disks took a huge
instantaneous current to spin up.

Didn't take long to work out a staged boot procedure...

The annoying thing is that I was getting magtapes of data from NASA at
the time. But NASA wrote them at 6250bpi, and my tape cab only grokked
1600, so I had a pal at Glasgow Uni down-rate them for me.

When (a) I got a PC, and (b) NASA started producing the data on CD-ROM,
things got a _lot_ easier!

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.