Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Nagered hard drive;'(..

On 2010-06-25, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:56:04 on Fri, 25
Jun 2010, Huge remarked:
In mid 70's I worked on ICL drives, including something they called a
"drum", which was a single-platter mounted vertically.

You sure it was a "platter"? Only, when I worked for ITT in around
1975/6 (on what became the Unimat 4080 telephone switch), the message
switches that we shared our computer room with definitely had drums
that were drum shaped.

Absolutely sure.

It appears that ICLs weird storage topology terminology was unknown to
me. Not surprising. I was a MUMPS programmer roped in to help rewrite
ATV's payroll system in RPG2 (spit) and port it from a 1904S (I think)
to a 2903. That was my only exposure to ICL kit - I left shortly
afterwards to return to my beloved PDP11s and trying to weigh flying
crisps.

I think that's right, though....ICL did keep a lot of old terminology
around. As well as inventing new stuff - like the CPU becoming an OCP
(Order Code Processor)

[note to self...must get on with the mostly-completed 2900 simulator]

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org