Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer
Jon Green Jon Green is offline

Default Nagered hard drive;'(..

On 24/06/2010 23:36, Jeff Strickland wrote:

I remember drives that were sensitve to changes in orientation. My DVR
claims to be sensitve to changes in orientation. My cable provider says the
DVR won't work right if it's not laying flat. My last DVR had a sticker on
it warning me that it absolutely must not be tilted or tipped -- the
difference is lost on me, but the sticker was there.

I bet I know why, and the reason (in this case) is not to do with the
disk. That's a piece of living room media equipment, and the watchword
is "quiet".

Chances are, the case was designed to convect as much heat as possible
before fan assistance, so that the fan can be either smaller and
quieter, or omitted completely. But the case design was predicated on
being horizontal, and the airflows with it vertical wouldn't purge
enough heat in time.

Not that I've played that game myself, not at all...

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.