Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

Default Nagered hard drive;'(..

Jeff Strickland wrote:
"Huge" wrote in message
On 2010-06-24, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:20:35 on
Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Jules Richardson
remarked:
(and remember the days when you had to reformat the drive if you changed
its orientation, as otherwise it'd start spewing out errors all over the
place? :-)
No, I don't remember that, and I go back all the way to 1980

Pah. Newbie.

and drives
that were 10MB per platter.

Blimey. Huge capacity. There's a platter from a Xerox system hanging
on my study wall. IIRC, the drive was 20Mb and had 5 platters. I wish
I could remember what the capacity of the DEDS drive on the ICL 1900
series I learned RPG2 (spit) on was. About 5 Mb (?), with two platters
that had to be exchanged seperately, but in pairs, on a horizontal spindle
inside a *huge* grey crackle-finish enclosure.

Now I have 3.5 Tb of disk in mys study ...

Ah, the Good Old Days.

My first machine had a 350M HDD, and I paid over two thousand dollars (USD)
for it. I bought the upgrade graphics/game card that allowed a joystick so I
could play Flight Simulator. It was a bit jerky as the scenery files
changed.

My first machine had a tape drive, the twin 5 1/14" floppy disks were extra.