Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default A sad tale of two wrecked newsgroups

"harry" wrote in message
On Jun 23, 5:40 am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

.com...

On 6/22/2010 9:48 AM Kyle spake thus:

If you want to talk politics, if you want to trash and insult any
given public figure, regardless of your political leaning, you are
free to do so…IN THE FRAKKING POLITICS NEWSGROUPS. And those who are
inclined to engage in those heated conversations can do so there.

To be honest, I just think that some political discussions are more
interesting here as opposed to those political groups.

Amen. I tried and gave up the political groups because they just vomit up
the party line without thought or reachability. They don't read anything
except trigger words that make them puke up the canned responses that are

so
predictable, boring and don't do anything to create a real dialog. As long
as the are clearly marked OT I don't see what the big deal is. I do

dislike
threads that start out on topic and then drift into political polemics.
That's not fair to the people who have no interest in the OT stuff. I

mean,
how hard is it to go to the Subject line and type the letters OT?

--
Bobby G.

Most threads that go on fo a while drift. Not always into politics
but stuff like cars, guns and sex. Quite often there are two or three
parallel discussions going on in one thread.

Agreed. Thread drift is a part of Usenet and always has been. Unless the
groups are moderated, I don't see much that can be done to prevent it. I
must admit, when it's MY question I get a little peeved when instead of
getting suggestions, I get political or entertainment news, but I usually
just don't respond to the posts that are irrelevant to the question I asked.
I also realize that keeping the thread alive, even though the posts drift,
presents more opportunities for me to get an answer to my original question.

--
Bobby G.