Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus Steve Kraus is offline

Default mower runs for a couple of minutes only

John Smith wrote:

I have a Scotts Turf Vac3 mower. A while ago, I noticed that
occasionally it wouldn't start when hot. Now, the problem is very
severe. When I start the engine the first time (when the engine is
cold), no problems. But the engine would run for only a couple of
minutes. Then, it'd quit. Once it quits, I can't start it again. I
need to wait for an hour before it'd start again. But once it
starts, it'd run for a couple of minutes and quit. And the waiting
game begins.

I changed the filter and the spark plug to no avail. I tried
running the engine with the gas tank cap off. No use. I cleaned
the carburetor. Nothing changed.

What could be the problem? Thanks.

Are you sure there is gas flow to the carb? A clog in the filter screen at
the bottom of the tank (or in the hose) could cause this since eventually
enough gas would get through to fill the float or diaphragm chamber of the
carb so the engine starts and runs normally but quickly dies and won't
restart. An hour later enough has seeped through to let it start again.