Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else[_2_] Sylvia Else[_2_] is offline

Default can i remove turns from shaded pole motor

On 24/06/2010 3:04 PM, Steve Sousa wrote:
Hello:

I live in a 230V area but need to use a 120V fan to repair an amplifier.
I can only get 230V fan motors here, so i was wondering if i can simply
remove turns from a 230v shaded pole motor to make it into a 120v one?

Thank you.

No. It's highly unlikely that the wire used in the motor is more than
100% overspecified, so if you remove turns from it to make it run at the
same speed on 120v, it will overheat, because the current will
approximately double.

Sylvia.