Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default A sad tale of two wrecked newsgroups

On 2010-06-21, Metspitzer wrote:

The solution has always been kill filters.

....and common sense, which seems to becoming less common at an ever
increasing pace.

I concur with both of these statements. I still love usenet though, I just
wish people would not bring their personal divisive issues into them (unless
those divise issues are on-point with the group, of course).

Especially the political bickering.

Jon

I'm guilty of a good deal of politicking on the ng, and will avoid more
unless it is a thread everyone joins in with intelligent discussion.
The OP made a good point, as I have seen a formerly great ng disappear
entirely after being taken over by crazy trolls in one narrow interest
topic. AHR has been good, but the trolling has increased dramatically
in just the past couple of months. Answering the main troll is foolish,
and does diminish enjoyment for me. I use Thunderbird for email and
news reader and haven't found a way to filter ng messages. I just
scroll past the usual trollers (most of the time) and look for something
of interest. There is a great deal of good advice, save those who get
hostile when a newbie apparently hasn't Googled first )