Posted to alt.home.repair
Salad Salad is offline

Default Installing a motion detector light to the outside wall

Ron wrote:
On Jun 22, 2:23 pm, Salad wrote:

My problem is that I drilled out two of those holes to match the \
position on the tabs. If I connect the top left hole to the tab, I am
way out of position for screwing in the 2nd screw. Can't be done.

What do I need to do to attach the lamp fixture to the junction
box/wall? Do I need a special backplate? What do I do about the
fixture's base that has no holes (but does now because I drilled them
out).

Is this what you have?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51eFgenSVpL.jpg

Yes.

If so, don't worry about screwing into the tabs on the box.

Drill your holes on the fixture through the junction box even at an
angle and use some long screws (I would use some 2"-3" drywall screws)
and screw it into the box. Might want to use a piece of "socket" foam
if it is exposed to rain. If it's under a overhang, no big deal.

Looking at the picture, on the left hand side of the base you can see
indents where I'd normally expect a screw to go thru. But there are no
holes. So I guess one has to drill them out someplace. On the middle
of the base in the picture I can make a large circle. Would that be
where you drilled the holes, on either side, to connect to the junction box?