Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil[_17_] Phil[_17_] is offline

Default Replacing a load-bearing beam

On Jun 23, 2:07 am, wrote:
Either trust your engineer, or hire a second one as a double check.

I was referring to the contractor, not the engineer.

My city would require an engineer's drawing and an engineering sign
off on the correctness of the work carried out for the type of
structural alteratrion you contemplate.

Same here. But the engineer's plan will layout the result of the work,
not exactly how the work should be carried out. For example, it says
that proper support must be put in place during the work. It doesn't
say how to put that proper support in place.

By posting here, I was hoping to get an insight on how to properly
execute the plan. I want to be able to verify that the contractor's
solution is sensible.

Cheers,
Phil