Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default running "structured wiring"

As I'm getting closer to completing rewiring my 2nd floor, I'm thinking
that I would like to put cable, internet, phone, etc. in all the
bedrooms while I'm messing around... sounds like the easiest way to do
this would be to use a "structured wiring" panel with the special
cables - 2x RG-6 and 2x CAT-6 - and I'm wondering what is the best
way to wire this.

I recommend installing conduit and double-gang boxes instead of running all
those cables now. It's hard to forsee what technologies will be needed in
the future, and conduit makes it easy to run new cables when needed. Why
go to the trouble and expense of installing RG-6 cables now when you may
never need them? What if technology switches to fiber optic cables?

I installed a few double-gang boxes in each room with short conduit runs to
our crawlspace. I put caps on the bottom ends of each conduit to keep out
bugs and drafts for conduit I'm not using. We've only lived here about 6
years, and I've already changed my cable runs a few times.

My only regrets so far is not installing more conduit and boxes in the
bedroom where I didn't forsee needing many connections, and not installing
enough boxes in my home office where most of the cables originate.

Anthony