Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default High wattage dummy load/s for audio use

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 00:30:47 +1000, Grant ǝʇoɹʍ:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:23:04 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:48:22 +0100, N_Cook ??o??:

Just curious about these - how were they used? All that is known is
they came from an audio lab.
About 200 watt, 2.8 ohm vitreous resistors. 200watt estimated, by me,
from surface area scaling of 2.5 and 6W ones, these are 210 mm long
35mm diameter. Some sort of multiple series and parallel for 2 ohm etc
or with L and C for speaker simulation ?

Most newer SS amps are rated to a minimum of 2 ohms.

And cheapie meter leads might account for the extra 0.8 Ohms? --
Grant.

They'd have to be very cheap. Mr. Kook is a talented technician so I
think that we can rule out that factor.

I use a pair of finned 300 watt 8 ohm resistors mounted on a giant power
supply heat sink to raise their continuous rating. Got them from Yamaha
way back in the 80's when I did warranty work for their pro-audio line.
They aren't branded Yamaha. They sent them to our warranty station along
with some other equipment they required to authorize us. If I recall the
total startup cost was a couple thousand bucks but we also had a credit
line with their service/parts dept.