Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Hobart handler 135 mig

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:56:31 -0500, Ignoramus8716

On 2010-06-23, cavelamb wrote:
stryped wrote:
What is the thickest material a person can weld with this? I have co2/
argon mix and .024 wire, but can use up to .035 wire. It is a 110 unit.

I have .035 cored wire in mine (no gas).
Most metal has been 1/8" with some 3/16" singel pass.
1/4 would probably need another pass.
Anything beyond that would for sure need multiple passes.

I would think that for a similar price, one could get a Lincoln
tombstone and make great welds with 7018AC, welding any thickness and
getting great fusion every time. Plus a tombstone has better duty
cycle. I really do not see the point of those weldpaks.

who used a tombstone welder once and was impressed.

The little 110-volt MIG boxes are excellent for thin metal. In
particular, they are invaluable for autobody work and rust work. At a
local shop where they restore antique automobiles, there's a Lincoln
SP125+ at every single work station.