Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Gas Meters

On 6/22/2010 1:15 PM, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:42:22 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote Re Gas Meters:

We got a new gas meter and it is readable remotely (the guy still comes
around, but he waves a device at the meter). Does this imply that there's a
battery in the new gas meters? Anyone know for sure?

Our gas company installed one of those types of meters about a year
ago. I asked the guy installing it, and he said that it did indeed
have a battery in it. He said the projected battery life was ten
years. We'll see.

Very likely it will happen. One of the reasons is the very clever design
where practically no current is consumed until the transponder gets the
interrogation from the reader. It responds and essentially turns itself
off until next time.