Silvan

Default WARNING - PHONEY EBAY E-MAIL

Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

birthdate, and credit card number. BTW, it isn't just fake eBay emails.

My boss called me a bit back. He knows more about castrating bulls and
turning sheep vaginas right side out than he does about computer stuff, so
he comes to me frequently for help dealing with his teeniebopper AOL/ICQ
etc. daughter.

His daughter got a message from "AOL Account Management" or some such, with
some blather. It requested bank account numbers, credit card numbers, etc.
etc. etc. His daughter got this, let his wife read it. His wife got out
her purse and filled in all the blanks. IN PLAIN TEXT!

I had to tell him the bad news.

He smashed her computer with a sledge hammer after that.

Luckily, he got all his accounts changed before anyone could make use of the
information. I'm not sure if anything ever came of it as far as using
attempts to access the old account to track the perps.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/