Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Invasion of the red ants

wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:29:21 -0500, dpb wrote:

If they will eat Amdro it works fairly well but if it has been used
much around your area they will not eat it anymore. ...

I've never seen that after 10 years or so...but that, of course, is
application as noted above on specific colonies/hills, not broadcast
over an entire area. That would, over time if continued, undoubtedly
breed either avoidance and/or resistance. Not a smart thing to do...

It happens eventually. When I first moved to Florida in the early 80s
Amdro was the go to solution for fire ants. The extension service even
sold it at a reduced price but eventually it just stopped working.

I have a package of Amdro that is probably 5 or 6 years old. Use it
about once a year now, works great. I no longer treat our condo yard,
but just patios and walkway nearest to us. Seems to be the custom for
fire ants here to move into the building in the spring...one neighbor
said she had them coming from her kitchen drain, but they probably were
going TO it, which one nasty infestation was doing in my condo. We are
ground floor with slider right next to kitchen, so if any food is stored
on counters, they will find it. Most people I know in Fl. keep all that
stuff...bread, cake...in the fridge. We have also had long dry spells
in Florida, and lots of pests will move indoors just looking for water.

For that matter, I have not seen a sugar eating ant around here in 10
years. You can leave a sugar cube on the counter for months and they
won't touch it.

They love Publix coffee cake, bread, butter )

I worked my way through all the proteins baiting them with each thing
they were eating until they simply ran out of things in my house that
they would eat so they don't come in anymore.

Ants have not been here for a million years by being dumb.