Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Replacing a load-bearing beam

On Jun 21, 3:19*pm, Phil wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in knowing how one would go about replacing part of the
main beam (basement) of a 1926 house.

I've consulted a structural engineer to figure out the required size/
strength of the new beam (probably steel). He will also be specifying
the size of the required column and its footing. I'm currently trying
to figure out how the work can be accomplished and would appreciate
some input.

The beam to be replaced is made of 3 wooden 3x12. My issue is with the
fact that the floor joists are hanging from that beam (as opposed to
being supported by it). Sitting on this beam is also a 4-feet section
of a load-bearing wall.

I figured that I could support the floor joists with jack posts or
some temporary load-bearing wall on both sides of the existing beam,
but how can I support the 4-feet section of wall without being in the
way of the new beam to put in place?

Whatever I put in place there must be removed in order to put in the
new beam, but I can't put in the new beam without supporting that
wall... What kind of approach would you suggest to take here?

I have a similar set up with beam and joists, I just added supports
and thick plate steel under the beam the leveled it slowly. Why do you
need a new beam, why cant you just add supports to what you have. When
you start jacking to make it level things may break, I had a few
joists I had to sister on new joists but your idea of removing what is
there is full of risks you cant imagine, like everything failing
completely, the money and time you will waste in proper jacks to
support everything while removing the old beam is taking a little job
and making it major.