Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry[_2_] Terry[_2_] is offline

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:36:12 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

When I was in school, these were every boy's favorite, and almost the
only useful education we got.

As others have suggested, in some locations in the US the liability
issue is one reason---though surely not the only reason. We're seeing
the same thing in high school chem labs. Some HSs are abandoning the
lab component because it's just too dangerous. After all, the kids
are handling CHEMICALS!! insert rolling eyes and sigh

Seriously, perceptions often drive the educational process. There is
a perception that tools and chemicals are dangerous, and
administrators are gun-shy when it comes to legal action relative to
these items. Easier to minimize their presence or remove them
entirely from the curriculum.

(The rest is personal experience from shop in jr. high. Probably
better to skip it. )

In junior high (aka "middle school") I took three years of shop from
7th thru 9th grades, along with virtually every other male in the
school. Among other things we made sand molds in foundry in 7th
grade. Rotten teacher wouldn't let us melt and pour the aluminum; I
didn't get to do that fun stuff til after the first round of grad
school (built the Gingery lathe starting in the 80s).

8th and 9th grades moved us into power tools and more advanced wood
and metal projects. Two memorable experiences from 9th grade: we had
a choice of certain specific projects. I chose a nut bowl which I
decided to make about 10" dia x 6" tall, from walnut. The stock was
badly cupped. My plan was to cut the stock into 10" lengths and glue
them together convex-to-concave. Then plane one side flat, mount that
side on the faceplate, and go to work. The new teacher said no; glue
them cup-to-cup. Of course, as I clamped them together, every piece
split badly. "Oh, just fill that in with wood filler." I sawed it
round on the bandsaw and started to turn the monstrosity but it looked
like homemade sh!t. So I abandoned the project and failed it. :-(

Also made a cold chisel (gas forge) that was the talk of that shop
class. It was ground beautifully and it looked store-bought. Teacher
got a piece of sheet brass and a hammer, and belted the chisel a few
times on the brass. (That action partly determined your grade; I
closed my eyes when he swung the hammer.) It cut the brass with no
problem. The sonuvarip gave me a B on it. The rest of the class just
shook their heads. One kid came up and asked if he could buy it for
his dad. (Yes, I sold it; didn't need the chisel but sure needed that
dollar!) The best ego boost I ever got in school!
--
Best -- Terry