Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A sad tale of two wrecked newsgroups

On 6/21/2010 12:24 PM Smarty spake thus:

LdB wrote:

I would like to suggest that all of you regulars of alt.home repair
take a look at the newsgroups rec.boats and rec.boats.cruising. I
have used the internet since the 1980's. Long before the days of the
World Wide Web. This newsgroup as well as the rec.boats groups were
well established before I found them.

Add to your list David Nebenzahl, another troll who posts his off-topic
political crap, most recently regarding the blocking of ship unloading
of an Israeli ship in California.

I detest the lack of respect he shows in posting such crap on as home
repair forum. Clearly he has no respect for the other people who
frequent this forum seeking home repair information.

Oh, bull****.

All these posts were preceded by "OT", something no self-respecting
troll would ever do. And I also post plenty of on-topic home repair
stuff. So quitcherbellyachin'.

I can't speak for those other groups the OP mentioned, but it seems to
me that this group is very much alive and well so far as the on-topic
exchange of information goes, so it all sounds a bit like the usual
Chicken Little stuff we hear around here.

The biggest threat to usenet is actually the loss of service from large
ISPs, much more significant than any trolling that might go on.